Welcome to The 6 a.m. CFO, where finance chiefs share how they jump-start their days and engage with the tasks that are in front of them.
Today, 1Stock Limited’s Nixon Kitimoi discusses the value of perpetual change, his favorite quote from Winston Churchill, and his harmonious favorite number.
If you’d like to be featured in a future post, please email us here.
- An investment management company in Uganda that focuses on developing an understanding of the risk and reward opportunities in global markets
- Founded: 2018
- Size: 60 employees
- Annual revenue/growth: $70 million+ in assets under management and capital commitments; The Reaper Fund rise in NAV since inception of 1,049.30%; invested in 39 startups, two unicorns; currently raising an Africa-focused private credit fund.
Weekday wake-up time and the first thing I like to do: I wake up at 5 a.m. and do breath work, mantra meditation, gratitude and appreciation, visualize my day, and intention setting — it takes about 15 minutes.
Then I will read for an hour, which could be a research paper or articles on a variety of topics, and then work out for an hour.
Time I send out my first email: Between 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m. I reply to urgent emails earlier.
Best advice for writing an effective email:
- Detailed but straight to the point
- Break up the email; use the five-sentence rule if possible.
First dashboard I review: I open the integrated software system where I review previous trades, current and pending positions, analyze market changes, and evaluate new ideas.
How I structure my morning meetings: I normally try to schedule my meetings for after 10 a.m. but in some instances, especially when I'm meeting heads of government departments or agencies, meetings are scheduled for as early as 7 a.m. I'm up at 4 a.m. if that's the case.
INSPIRATION AND LEADERSHIP
Favorite quote or mantra: I have two favorites.
- "Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force. Never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." — Winston Churchill
- If you only do what you can do, you'll never be more than what you are now.
Favorite leadership lesson: I believe perpetual change is the most onward pathway.
We're evolving ceaselessly as individuals and as a company and we are constantly establishing new benchmarks, goals, and pathways in order to maximize our, and our investors', bottom line.
Can you share one way in which you've learned to manage work-induced stress: "You can't control the wind but you can adjust the sails."
I take time to reevaluate, then adjust or adapt when and where necessary.
Favorite number: 24
It's a symbol of duality and is believed to represent harmony, balance, and stability. It was also my jersey number for a soccer tournament when I scored the winning penalty in 2007.
Do you have a pet sitting in your office right now: Not right now. But I can see my three terrapins when I look out the window.
Favorite app on my phone that's not related to business: Lumosity. Not sure about the claim on cognitive performance, but the games are captivating.
When do you take time for learning/reading: I read for an hour when I get up and an hour before bed. The hour before bed will usually be a book.