- Waste Management Inc. named former CFO David Steiner as its new chief executive officer. Steiner succeeds Maurice Myers, who will remain Waste Management’s chairman until November 2004. Prior to serving as finance chief, Steiner was senior vice president and general counsel.
Robert Simpson, Waste Management’s chief accounting officer, will replace Steiner as CFO.
- As part of a bevy of changes in Boeing Capital Corporation’s finance department, BCC CFO Steve Vogeding has been named vice president of transition management and operations integration. Russ Evans, who had been serving as deputy CFO, replaces Vogeding in the top finance post.
John Rosenthal, BCC’s treasurer, will become director of risk management. Geoff Carpenter, assistant treasurer of Global Treasury Operations for The Boeing Co., will replace Rosenthal as Boeing Capital’s treasurer. Last December, BCC came under scrutiny in the midst of a hiring scandal involving former Boeing CFO — and former BCC finance chief — Mike Sears.
- Mary Rhinehart has been promoted to senior vice president and CFO of Johns Manville. She replaces Ken Jensen, who will retire on April 15. Rhinehart, who has been with JM since 1979, has served in a wide variety of assignments.
- David McLennan is the new CFO of Sierra Wireless. Before joining Sierra, McLennan spent about 10 years in a variety of senior management spots within the BCE group of companies, including Bell Canada’s CFO. He also served with Bell ExpressVu, initially as finance chief and later as president and chief operating officer.
- Bennett Nussbaum was tapped as senior vice president and CFO of Winn-Dixie Stores. He succeeds Richard McCook, who resigned after 20 years at the company. Nussbaum most recently was executive vice president and CFO of Burger King. Before joining Burger King in 2001, Nussbaum served as finance chief of Kinko’s for four years.
- Eric Olsen was named executive vice president and CFO of Lafarge North America, a supplier of construction materials. He replaces Larry Waisanen, who plans to retire at the end of the year after almost 30 years with the company. Olsen is currently president of the company’s Northeast cement region and senior vice president of purchasing.
- John Kurtzweil is the new CFO of Cirrus Logic, a maker of audio and video chips. Prior to joining Cirrus Logic, Kurtzweil most recently served as interim CFO at Quepasa Corp., an online company serving the U.S. Hispanic community.
- Robert Flexon was named finance chief of power producer NRG Energy, which emerged from bankruptcy in December. He joins NRG from Hercules Inc., a maker of specialty chemicals, where he served most recently as vice president of corporate development and work process.