Accounting for Retired Stock

Today's question: How do you enter retired stock into the books? StaffSeptember 7, 2001

Q: My husband, brother-in-law, and father-in-law started a printing company in 1972. All shares of stock were owned by these family members. The corporation has purchased all of my father-in-law’s stock, which is now accounted for as treasury stock. We are ready to retire the stock, but I am not clear on the method. Par value of the common stock is $1. The associated APIC is $4 per share. Treasury stock is accounted for at cost of $14.98/share.

What is the correct way to enter this in the books?

Charlottesville, Virginia

CFO Insights on Inflation, Workforce Challenges, and Future Plans 

CFO Insights on Inflation, Workforce Challenges, and Future Plans 

Download our 2022 survey report for a high-level view of finance team projections and strategies, directly from our executive readers.

A: In accordance with APB 6, Paragraph 12, when a corporation’s stock is retired or purchased, the excess of the purchase price over par or stated value may be allocated between capital surplus and retained earnings. The portion allocated to the capital surplus should be limited to the sum of the portion of the capital surplus relating to the initial sale of the stock. The remainder is allocated to retained earnings. Thus the journal entry would appear as follows:

Debit Credit
Common Stock $1,000
APIC $4,000
Retained Earnings $9,980
Cash for Treasury Stock $14,980

One additional point to consider is that the laws of some states govern the circumstances under which a corporation may acquire its own stock and prescribe the accounting treatment therefore. Where such requirements require different handling than rules of APB 6, the accounting should conform to the applicable law.

Kevin J. Hovorka
Partner, Crowe Chizek & Co. LLP

See previous “Ask the Experts” columns:

How to determine the size of interest in an LLC.
Accounting for purchase of receivables from a company undergoing Chapter 11.
Fiduciary responsibility for self-directed 401(K)s
Combining Chinese Subsidiaries into One
U.S.-U.K. Tax Treaty
Paperwork for Customers in Tax-Free States
Licensing Fees in Japan
Software Leasing
Buy-out Legal Fees and Treasury Stock
A Merger Accounting Scenario
Use Tax
A FAS 133 Example
Leasing Accounting
Goodwill Taxing
Recognizing Upfront Fees
Proving Tax-exempt Status
The ABCs of OECD
Credentials for Credit
Big Five Audits and Venture Funding
GAAP for Private Firms
Transfer-Pricing Guidelines
Insurance for E- business Infrastructure
401(k) Brokerage Links
Navigating the Rough Waters of Sales Tax

Ask the Experts in a weekly column that aims to help finance executives like you find answers to difficult questions.

Submit your questions by E-mailing them to [email protected]. Unfortunately, we cannot answer all questions individually.

While we will enlist professionals to try to answer your questions, Ask the Experts is meant only to create a dialogue on the topics. Consult legal or financial professionals before acting on any of the advice given by our expert panel.

Understanding Which ERP Modules Your Business Needs – And When