Print this article | Return to Article | Return to CFO.com
Test your knowledge of the U.S. manufacturing industry.
CFO Staff, CFO Magazine
November 1, 2010
Elsewhere in this issue, we cite several statistics regarding manufacturing jobs in the United States (see "Is a Trade War at Hand?"). It's been a hot topic for years, of course, so we've assembled a collection of questions that explore various attributes of, and attitudes toward, U.S. manufacturing. How much do you know about the current state of "Made in the USA"?
1) Between 2000 and 2008, the U.S. global market share of manufactured goods fell from 19% to 14%, while China's increased from 7% to 17%. During that same period, the value of U.S. manufactured exports:
A. Decreased by 42%
B. Decreased by 10%
C. Increased by 19%
D. Increased by 60%
2) A recent survey found that 60% of Americans believe that U.S. manufacturers can compete effectively in global markets. The percentage who said that, longer-term, the outlook for U.S. manufacturers will strengthen was:
3) The percentage of Americans who said they would encourage their children to pursue a career in manufacturing was:
4) In which category below do U.S. exports exceed U.S. imports?
5) Asked to evaluate U.S. manufacturing competitiveness on 21 attributes, a majority of Americans said the United States is at a disadvantage in 7, all of which had what in common?
A. Pay scales/Union influence
B. Government/Tax policies
D. High commodity/Shipping/Logistics costs
6) Asked whether they were more likely to buy a product labeled "Made in America," the percentage of Americans who said yes was:
7) Of those answering yes to the question above, the percentage change from 2009 to 2010 was:
A. Up 2%
B. Up 9%
C. Up 13%
D. Up 22%
8) In 2009, the median weekly earnings for a manufacturing-sector union member were $800. The median for nonunion workers was:
Sources: National Association of Manufacturers (1, 4), Deloitte survey of 1,055 Americans (2, 3, 5), Adweek Media/Harris Poll of 2,163 Americans (6, 7), Bureau of Labor Statistics (8)
Answers: 1–D; 2–A; 3–C; 4–D; 5–B; 6–B; 7–A; 8–B