Print this article | Return to Article | Return to CFO.com
See how much you know about consumers' holiday spending habits.
CFO Staff, CFO Magazine
December 1, 2009
With the holidays upon us, what will it take to get gift givers to part with their precious cash, what will they buy, and how will they buy? Put your thinking-stocking on and test yourself on these and related financial aspects of the season.
1) Percentage of consumers who say they'll require a discount of 50% or more to buy an item during the holiday season:
2) Percentage of consumers who include "toys" among the gifts they'll buy this season:
3) Percentage of consumers who expect to buy at least one gift card this season:
4) Ratio of those who plan to buy gifts online versus through a catalog:
5) Percentage of consumers who began their holiday shopping prior to November 1:
6) Rank given by men to "books, CDs, DVDs, or video games" on a list of common holiday gifts they'd like to receive:
7) Change in percentage of consumers who plan to take advantage of sales/discounts during the holiday shopping season (2006 versus 2009):
8) Many traditional toymakers have fallen on hard times. Which company's CEO recently said that he wants a corporate culture in which "there's no place to hide if performance is poor. You will be embarrassed, and embarrassment is stronger than fear."
D. Children's Television Workshop
Sources: Accenture (questions 1–3), BIGresearch (questions 4–7), the New York Times (question 8)
Answers: 1–D; 2–A; 3–D; 4–C; 5–D; 6–A; 7–A; 8–B