Square-Off: What Corporate Tax Rate Is Best?
The ayes have it. Our panel of tax and accounting experts, whose opinionated essays are gathered here, voted 3-1 in favor of a major cut in the federal corporate income tax rate. But whether congressional Republicans will have better luck fashioning a new corporate tax structure than they’ve had coming up with an alternative health-care scheme remains to be seen. Many of their opinions are reflected in this package of essays. For example, they believe the existing tax rate makes it tough fo ..
- “You’re going to like the way your financials look. I guarantee it.” Men’s Wearhouse Inc. appointed Neill P. Davis to SVP, CFO, and treasurer. Davis had been VP and treasurer of the Fremont, Calif.-based men’s-clothing retailer. He joined the firm in 1997.
- Captain Kirk: Houston-based Duke Energy named Kirk B. Michael CFO of its Energy Services unit. The unit consists of Duke Enrgy North America, Duke Energy International, Duke Energy Merchants, Duke Engineering & Services, Duke/Fluor Daniel, and DukeSolutions. Michael was promoted from his position of director of business unit finance.
- Meta Group Inc. will be consulting new CFO John Piontkowski for finance issues. Piontkowski was previously CFO of software maker Information Management Associates. He replaces Bernard Denoyer, who resigned in September. Former SVP of international operations and sales Robert Toole was serving as interim CFO. The Stamford, Conn.-based firm said it promoted Toole to COO in the same announcement. It also announced third-quarter losses and expects to miss analysts’ expectations for fourth-quarter profits.
- Lucernex Inc. has a room reserved for Kyle Enger, a former finance manager from Marriott International. The Seattle-based software startup appointed him as its first CFO.
- Former Tickets.com Inc. CFO Michael Rodriguez has gained admission into Directfit, a new Web-based IT hiring solutions firm. He’s the Irvine, Calif.- based company’s first CFO.