Managing the Accounts Payable Function, Part One
Date: Tue, Jul 17, 2012
Time: 02:00 P.M. ET
Duration: 1 hour
Strengthen your AP department by getting back to basics. Many finance executives come to managerial positions without ever spending time in accounts payable. In fact, they feel they understand the basic concepts and don't need to process an invoice to oversee procedures and controls. To some minor extent that's true. However, many AP issues are not what they seem. Without a good foundation it is very easy to make mistakes that could cost your organization millions -- or worse, create problems with the Internal Revenue Service or the Securities and Exchange Commission.
Join AP expert Mary Schaeffer for an hour-long webcast developed specifically for CFOs, controllers, and other finance managers and business unit executives. This webcast was developed to provide a closer, more tactical look at AP best practices, with the aim of creating better management of this critical outflow of cash.
At the conclusion of this session you'll be able to:
- Review, with a critical eye, the basics of any accounts payable function (invoice handling, checks, POs, rush checks, T&E, regulatory issues and fraud);
- Identify eight easily-fixed mistakes often made in accounts payable departments (and learn how to avoid them);
- Differentiate between three problems that arise when purchase order best practices are not followed -- and then find the cure;
- Address the five often-overlooked ways rush checks cause problems;
- Explain why after-the-fact POs may make sense;
- Explore two alternatives to those awful paper checks; and
- Avoid the accounts payable black hole.
This Webcast does not currently offer the opportunity to earn continuing professional education (CPE) credit. We invite you to stay tuned to CFO.com for future Webcasts that will offer attendees opportunities to earn CPE credit.
For inquiries or complaints concerning this Webcast, please call (212) 488-4708.
About the Presenter
- Mary Schaeffer is a leading author on accounts payable best practices and an expert on the changing responsibilities of accounts payable operations. She is editorial director of AP Now, a leading source of accounts payable information for the business and finance community, and author of Travel & Entertainment Best Practices (John Wiley & Sons). Before turning to writing and consulting full time, she worked in the finance and treasury departments of several large companies, including The Equitable Life Assurance Society and Olympia & York.
About CFO Learning
- CFO Learning provides targeted training and education for corporate finance executives and their teams to help these professionals stay ahead of today's evolving business environment. Our training is delivered online, in-person, and in self-study formats and our presenters are leading experts experienced in providing efficient instruction to professionals.