Ask the Experts

You are here: Home : Topics A-Z : Ask the Experts

Accounting for Retired Stock

Today's question: How do you enter retired stock into the books?

September 7, 2001

Q: My husband, brother-in-law, and father-in-law started a printing company in 1972. All shares of stock were owned by these family members. The corporation has purchased all of my father-in-law's stock, which is now accounted for as treasury stock. We are ready to retire the stock, but I am not clear on the method. Par value of the common stock is $1. The associated APIC is $4 per share. Treasury stock is accounted for at cost of $14.98/share. Read more...

Follow this topic

More Ask the Experts Articles

  • Valuation Evaluation

    How to determine the size of interest in an LLC. August 31, 2001

  • One Man's Junk...

    Accounting for purchase of receivables from a company undergoing Chapter 11. August 24, 2001

  • Off the Hook?

    Do self-directed 401(k)s relieve trustees of fiduciary responsibility? August 17, 2001

  • Beyond Recognition

    One division, two companies, two ways to recognize revenue under SOP 81-1. August 10, 2001

  • Chinese Takeout

    What are the tax implications of merging U.S.-owned Chinese subsidiaries into one entity? August 3, 2001

  • Parental Duty

    Can a U.S. parent take a tax credit on its income tax return for taxes paid by a U.K. subsidiary? July 27, 2001

  • Paperwork for Customers in Tax-Free States

    What paperwork does a seller need to prove tax-exempt status from buyers in tax-free states? July 20, 2001

  • Licentious Behavior

    How do I handle withholding fee for license fees in Japan? July 13, 2001

  • Lessor Problems

    Can large software financings be structured to allow for off-balance-sheet treatment under FAS 13? JP Morgan Chase's Joe Sebik responds. July 6, 2001

Related White Papers

» More Related White Papers


Business Solutions Center

» More Business Solutions Center Links